Pages

McDonalds Nutrition Facts

The next time you take your children to McDonalds, take a look at those brochures they have hanging on a wall somewhere in their restaurants. They aren't readily noticeable, but my two toddlers found them off near the bathroom in a corner away from the cashier area (of course) in one restaurant.

My little one reaches for the leaflet and carries it out the McDonalds as if it were a toy. So proud he was to have it in his hand, he yelled at his dad to get it out the car when he dropped before getting out. One day, while I had a free moment, I decided to take the time to read it. It was definitely worth reading considering I wasn't that far away from spending a thousand dollars last year as a stay at home mother on just one thing, fast food!

As parents, you know how we are about "treating the children to..." and whatever it might be, they usually will pick it. This year I made up in my mind I wasn't going to be doing a lot of treating, so this particular visit to McDonalds was left up to dad. While I am reading the colorful brochure that has the website listed: www.mcdonalds.com, product packaging information, nutrition facts and figures and a toll free phone line (1-800-244-6227) in case any one is interested, I flip it over to see, a warning box below the nutrition facts. Here is what it says,

"Chemicals known to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm may be present in foods or beverages sold or served here..." Wait a minute, what? Now I am particularly sensitive to this topic since three of my relatives have died with some type of cancer in each of their bodies two of which were within the past two years!!! I read on, "Cooked potatoes that have been browned, such as french fries, hash browns, and baked potatoes, contain acrylamide, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer." You mean to tell me, as I stare at the brochure, that McDonalds uses a chemical on the fries that when browned causes cancer!? I keep reading, "Other foods sold here, such as hamburger buns, biscuits and coffee also contain acrylamide, but generally in lower concentrations than fried potatoes. Acrylamide is not added to our foods, but is created whenever potatoes and certain other foods are browned. The FDA has not advised people to stop eating baked potatoes, fried potatoes or other foods which contain acrylamide. For more information see www.fda.gov."

So after reading this paragraph, I understand why some people have sounded the alarm about McDonald's food. Remember that documentary about the guy who lived on the stuff for about a month and had all sorts of health problems? I think of all those people who daily drink the coffee. I think of the soccer moms who never have time to cook and are always stopping at fast food restaurants. I think of myself who fed my children the stuff without a care. Grandma was right, "Child, that stuff is garbage!"

Nicholl McGuire

No comments:

Imagine If Gifts Shop

Custom Search